Introduction

The following is an example of a resource that can be sent to students before your HyFlex course begins. It includes  information about the 3 learning modalities and can be edited to suit your style and needs. I hope you find it useful!

Hello and welcome to your _________ class! The following are some answers to frequently asked questions, including ways to engage with the content, me, and each other during this journey. You have the choice at all times to switch between modalities to suit your life. No matter which way you engage, the learning outcomes are the same for everybody. Hopefully, you are reading this before our first class, and if you have any questions, please contact me at _____________. I also have office hours on these days/times to see you in person, by phone, or over Zoom.

I look forward to our time together co-learning!

What happens when I attend class in person?

Please bring your device (laptop, tablet, or smartphone) and connect to the campus WiFi. You, as well as the students joining remotely, will all sign into the Zoom session. You will be able to see the students attending remotely, and they will see you too. I may ask for a volunteer to monitor the chatbox and bring to our attention a question posed by a remote student. Or, I may ask to pair you up with a remote student, who you can chat directly with.

There are mic(s) hanging from the ceiling to pick up your comments and questions, so please speak clearly and loudly so that students joining on Zoom (and I) can hear you.

We are a community, and some students may be joining us internationally or from locations further away from campus. Communication is key for high participation, feelings of inclusion and belonging, and enjoyment of our time together. The session will be recorded so that students who are taking the course asynchronously and anyone who would like to review it can when they are able.

What if I don’t want to be recorded?

Each class is recorded so that it is available for playback by students taking the course asynchronously or for review by any student. If you do not want to be recorded, you can choose to keep your camera and/or mic off and choose to engage by using the chat, jamboard sessions, and breakout rooms (not recorded). If you are attending in-class and don’t want to be seen by the cameras, there are spots around the classroom that the camera does not cover (which I can show you).

What happens when I’m joining the class through Zoom?

If you are a first-timer to Zoom, here is a link to a helpful YouTube video by Jennifer Carr (2020) to orient you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWU4wGjykRQ

I have two cameras in the room; one for viewing what I am saying or writing on the whiteboard, and another so that you can see your classmates. I’ll be switching views for you depending on what is most useful for you to see at the moment. I will ask you to keep your mic muted until it is your turn to speak.

I hope you will decide to keep your camera on so that students in the classroom can see you (it’s great to see each other to feel more connected). If we have bandwidth issues, I may ask you to turn your cameras off until it is your turn to speak.

You will be able to ask questions in the chatbox, and I will do my best to monitor it, or I may ask for an in-class volunteer to monitor it so that your questions are not missed. Chat boxes can become very lively! I also may post links to google docs, jamboards, and other resources for you. I may post polls periodically so that you can share your answers. These will show up as a percentage and not show individual names.

You may also be assigned to ‘breakout rooms’ within Zoom, where you will be able to have discussions with your peers.

What happens if I’m taking the course asynchronously?

You may be a working student, and our class times may clash with your schedule, you may be caring for others, or have other reasons not to attend the synchronous sessions. Not to worry! The classes will be recorded, and the recording will be posted on Moodle/Canvas/Other LMS within 24 hours. The chats will also be saved and provided as there may be links to extra resources. You’ll be able to access google docs and jamboards to add to on your own time and to be able to see other’s works.

If you have a question that you would like answered in the Zoom space, please email me, ideally, 48 hours before the next class.

Carr, J (2020, August 13 ). Zoom Tutorial: Basics for Students. YouTube.com. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWU4wGjykRQ Groll, T (2021, March 16). VOICES I Thomas Groll on Hybrid/HyFlex Teaching l Voices of Online Teaching and Learning. YouTube.com. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzIRaukvuvY&t=51s Columbia Center for Teaching and Learning (n.d.). Hybrid/HyFlex Teaching and Learning. Columbia.edu. https://ctl.columbia.edu/resources-and-technology/teaching-with-technology/teaching-online/hyflex/